The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by merging College of Medicine and Kamuzu College of Nursing and established by an Act of Parliament (No. 20 of 2019). It is a Health and Allied Sciences University that intends to educate and graduate excellent health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified competent dynamic and visionary individuals to fill the following corporate positions at KUHeS.
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND INVESTMENTS (DFI)
The DFI will work under general direction of the ViceChancellor (VC) in providing leadership and direction in the management of Financial and other resources within The University in order to elipe its vision of becoming a world class innovative University committed to scholarly and professional excellence the provision of thealth education, research and services in Malawi and globally.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Providing overall leadership and direction on financial and investment matters
- Advising the University Executive Management Team and the Council on matters relating to financial management and investments
- Initiating and implementing sound financial Stores and investment policies, plans strategies, procedures and regulations
- Preparing and presenting financial stores and investment reports and other reports
- Providing regular reports and updates to the Vice Chancellor on assigned areas of responsibility and any pertinent matters affecting the University
- Supervising and mentoring members of staff that report and are accountable to his/her office
- Servicing relevant committees of the Council.
- PLANNING, CONTROL AND MONITORING
- Coordinating and facilitating the development of budget estimates for the University
- Designing and implementing internal controls
- Monitoring and reviewing financial stores and investment policies, plans, strategies, procedures and regulations
- Regulating expenditure to ensure conformity with approved budgets, existing regulations and grants contract
- Authorizing payments
- Overseeing management of assets, Insurance and pension portfolios.
- RESOURCE MOBILIZATION AND INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
- Developing and implementing resource mobilization and effective utilization strategies
- Performing due diligence of investment opportunities and investment portfolio risk assessment
- Liaising with development partners. Government and agencies and other stakeholders in the provision of support to the University’s programmes.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related fields
- Professional accounting qualification
- 8 years’ experience at management level
- Knowledge of key issues, policies and legislation relating to financial and investment management
- Experience managing donor-funded projects and grants.
- Leadership ability to direct, supervise and mentor others
- Fiscal management ability to prepare and cute budget as well as controlling expenditure
- Organisational skills: ability to set and implement systems and develop operational procedures and policies
- Effective communication: ability to import information in a professional manner in various settings and mediums, including the media
- Writing skills: ability to create, compose and edit written materials, including minutes and reports
- Interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively in a diverse community with people from different backgrounds
- Financial reporting: ability to report and communicate Financial information in a clear and purposeful manner
- Business-Oriented: ability to prepare and execute a viable business strategy
- Entrepreneurial experience of developing business models, achieving a good balance between risks and success
- Accountability: ability to instill a culture of honesty and integrity
The post of Director of Finance and Investment is open to qualified Malawian candidates only. It is offered on a contract basis for 5 years in the first instance, and may be renewed based on performance and success in competitive interview process.
The posts come with highly competitive compensation and benefits packages in accordance with the University’s existing structure of benefits.
The University is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men and women including persons living with disabilities.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter Curriculum Vitae, vision statement and names and contact details of three traceable professional referees.
Shortlisting of candidates by Council will be based on the quality of these documents which should be submitted to:
The Chairman of Council Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Private Bag 360
Applications should be submitted by 23rd May, 2022.