CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
AFIDEP is in the process of strengthening the institute to contribute to the realisation of the SDGs and other development strategies by enabling the formulation of effective development policies and programme interventions.
It is against this background that we are now seeking to recruit a strategic, innovative and results oriented leader to fill role of Chief Operating Officer (COO) for the institute.
Based in Lilongwe, Malawi and reporting to the Executive Director, the COO will be a key member of the senior management team. You will need to be a strategic, innovative and results oriented leader with strong background in Finance and accounting. You will also have a ‘self-starter’ attitude, be able to discover or create new opportunities to enhance organisational results, seek and take on new challenges with enthusiasm and establish and maintain positive working relationships with others to achieve the goals of the institute.
As COO, you will provide leadership and be responsible for overseeing AFIDEP’s operations, procedures, and support systems, including financial management, human resource management, administration, procurement and ICT.
- Provide management and leadership including contributing to the development of institutional programme strategic plans, development and implementation of policies;
- Lead annual planning and budgeting process including allocation of financial resources, financial reporting and cashflow management, while contributing to resource mobilisation;
- Lead financial management and reporting for programme and institutional expenditure against approved plans/budgets;
- Manage finance and accounting functions including internal and external audits, donor and sub-grantee contract management and administration;
- Oversee development of human resource management and related policies, and report on their implementation to Senior Management Team;
- Ensure timely development, refinement and upgrading of financial and operational management systems to ensure effective and robust management of the Institute’s finances and timely internal and external financial reporting;
- Ensure mitigation of risks through accurate maintenance of accurate assets register and risk mitigation strategies to mitigate risks pertaining to fraud, conflict of interest and legal affairs in line with applicable policies, laws, regulations and procedures; and
- Provide oversight on administration and operational functions that fall under enablement support including facilities management, vendor management, procurement, logistics and ICT management.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in any of the following fields; Commerce, Accounting, Finance or any other business-related field from a recognized university;
- Possess a relevant professional accounting and/or financial management qualification (CPA, ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CFA), or equivalent;
- Be a member in good standing registered with a relevant professional body;
- Have at least 10 years’ relevant experience, five (5) of which should have been spent in a role with multifunctional responsibility preferably as COO in the NGO sector;
- Possess strong financial management experience and skills including but not limited to budgeting/forecasting donor projects and, stakeholder management;
- Be proficient in accounting systems, grants, and financial management systems;
- Have knowledge and experience in design, implementation and monitoring systems of financial management, controls, and accounting systems;
- Have demonstrable experience with strong donor and partner relations and have ability to build and maintain working relationships with donors, partners, and service providers;
- Have demonstrable experience in relationship management with donor, partners and service providers; and
- Have ability to link financial results to programme and operational performance drivers and provide value add insights to the Institute.
AFIDEP will offer to the successful candidate a competitive remuneration package.commensurate with qualifications and experience.
If you are interested in this exciting role, please submit your application electronically including application cover letter, resume clearly articulating your accomplishments, and contact information for at least three professional referees who can comment on your competence, character and integrity.
How to apply
To be considered, your application must be submitted through the e-recruitment portal link:
https://www2.deloitte.com/ke/en/careers/executive-search-recruitment.html and received not later than 30 June 2022.