The Office of the Ombudsman is a public body established under the Republic of Malawi Constitution. Section 123 of the Constitution accords the Office of the Ombudsman the mandate to investigate any and all cases where it is alleged that a person or a group of persons have suffered an injustice and there appears to be no any remedy reasonably available by way of appeal from court or where there is no other practicable remedy.
The Office of the Ombudsman is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacant position:
Job Title : Director of Investigations and Research
Grade : OMB2
Responsible to : Ombudsman (Grade OMB1)
Duty Station : Office of the Ombudsman – Headquarters
Key duties and responsibilities
- Overseeing the development and review of policies, procedures and practices for handling complaints and conducting research;
- Providing technical advice to the Ombudsman on matters relating to investigations, ethics, sectoral ombudsman and research programmes in the Office;
- Ensuring timely processing, handling of complaints and conclusion of investigations as per the recommended procedures and practices;
- Ensuring timely implementation of agreed resolutions with the Respondents or/and undertakings by the Respondents;
- Investigating complaints and designing and carrying out systemic investigations;
- Making recommendations for cases to be tabled forpublic inquiries;
- Facilitating the development of budgets and work plans for the Department;
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of budgets and work plans;
- Consolidating quarterly and annual reports on the activities of the Department;
- Supervising staff and conducting performance appraisals of Deputy Directors and ensuring efficient and effective performance appraisal system of the Department;
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and Masters’ Degree in Social Science, Law, Political Science, Public Policy or Human Rights and Governance or in a related discipline;
- At least 10 years’ work experience, of which at least 5 years’ should be at senior management level in a related sector or institution;
- Proven track record in investigations, research, leadership and management; and
- Knowledge and experience in accountability and oversight functions will be an added advantage.
Required Competencies and attributes
- be able to lead and motivate various multi-disciplinary teams in investigation and research;
- have good leadership and team building skills;
be result-oriented, innovative and a self-starter;
- have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to deal with diverse work force;
have adequate knowledge in Computer using Microsoft Office such as word, excel, access and other related packages;
- demonstrate excellent negotiating and analytical skills; and
- high level of integrity, sense of maturity and ability to meet deadlines.
Method of application
Interested candidates should submit applications attaching a Curriculum Vitae, including three traceable referees and copies of certificates, to reach the undersigned not later than Friday, 13th August, 2022.
Office of the Ombudsman,
St. Martin’s House, City Centre
Private Bag 348, LILONGWE 3.
The applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE INDICATE ON THE ENVELOPE THE POST BEING APPLIED FOR ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED.
“THE OFFICE OF THE OMBUDSMAN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER”