The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by merging College of Medicine and Kamuzu College of Nursing and established by an Act of Parliament (No. 20 of 2019). It is a Health and Allied Sciences University that intends to educate and graduate excellent health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified competent dynamic and visionary individuals to fill the following corporate positions at KUHeS.
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF STUDENT AFFAIRS (DSA)
The DSA will work under general direction of the Vice Chancellor (VC) in providing overall strategic leadership. operational management and administrative direction of the student affairs function to support fulfillment of the University’s vision of becoming a world class, innovative University committed to scholarly and professional excellence in the provision of health education, research and services in Malawi and globally.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Advising the Vice Chancellor, other line managers and Committees on student affairs
- Providing overall leadership and management on student affairs in the University
- Coordinating activities and programmes associated with student internships, industry attachment and career guidance
- Providing regular reports and updates to the VC on assigned areas of responsibility and any pertinent matters affecting the University
- Supervising and mentoring members of staff that report and are accountable to his/her office.
- STUDENT WELFARE
- Developing and reviewing student welfare policies, rules and regulations in line with overall University strategies and policies
- Serving as a patron of the student representative body
- Being the point of contact on all matters affecting students’ welfare.
- STUDENT CONDUCT AND GRIEVANCE HANDLING
- Serving as a member of students disciplinary committee on conduct and academic matters;
- Handling students’ complaints and grievances.
- NETWORKING AND STUDENT RELATIONS
- Maintaining alumni relationship with the University
- Establishing and managing partnership with Government and other stakeholders to secure financial support and scholarships for needy students.
- RESOURCE MOBILIZATION
- Developing and implementing resource mobilization strategies.
- Masters’ degree in Management, Education, Health or related fields
- 8 years’ relevant experience at management level at a reputable higher education institution.
- Demonstrated experience of dealing directly with students in a higher education setting.
- Knowledge of key issues, policies and legislation relating to student affairs.
- Leadership: ability to direct, supervise and mentor others.
- Fiscal management: ability to prepare and execute a budget as well as control expenditure.
- Organisational skills: ability to set and implement systems and develop operational procedures and policies.
- Effective communication: ability to impart information in a professional manner in various settings and mediums, including the media.
- Writing skills: ability to create, compose and edit written materials, including minutes and reports.
- Interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively in a diverse community with people from different backgrounds.
- Confidentiality: ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
- Conflict management: ability to deal with complex problems and situations.
- Professionalism: high level of integrity and ethical values
- Emotional intelligence: ability to empathise with others and consider issues from various perspectives.
The post of Director of Student Affairs is open to qualified Malawian candidates only. It is offered on a contract basis for 5 years in the first instance and may be renewed based on performance and success in a competitive interview process. The University is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men, women and persons living with disabilities.
The posts come with highly competitive compensation and benefits packages in accordance with the University’s existing structure of benefits.
The University is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men and women including persons living with disabilities.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter Curriculum Vitae, vision statement and names and contact details of three traceable professional referees.
Shortlisting of candidates by Council will be based on the quality of these documents which should be submitted to:
The Chairman of Council
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Private Bag 360
Applications should be submitted by 23rd May, 2022.