The Human Rights Commission (the Commission), an independent institution established under Chapter XI of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, with the primary mandate of the promotion and protection of human rights and investigations of violations of the rights accorded by the Constitution or any other law in Malawi, invites applications from suitable, qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacant position:
Title of post: Disability and Elderly Rights Officer (2 posts)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science/ Public Administration or any other related field;
- Have analytical skills;
- Must have report writing skills backed by good command of both oral and written
- English language
- Computer literate;
- At least 2 years experience in Human Rights issues.
- Investigate cases of violations of Disability and Elderly Rights
- Assist in the formulation of operational manuals such as complaints handling manual guidelines for hearings, conflict resolution, mediation and conciliation.
- Undertake visits te-places prone to Disability and Elderly rights abuse such as prisons, police cells, detention camps, refugee camps, schools, hospitals and handling complaints from such institutions.
- Conduct awareness meetings on disability and elderly rights
- Assist in hearings (open and closed), conflict resolution, mediation and conciliation
- Assist in resource mobilization for the directorate
- Assist in preparations of departmental annual reports
- Any other business as assigned on time-to-time basis.
The Commission is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, both male and female persons including persons with disabilities, who meet the prerequisite qualifications and experience are encouraged to apply. However, considering that the Commission oversees the implementation of the Gender Equality Act that ensures 40:60/60:40 distribution of decision-making positions; the Commission particularly encourages women to apply for positions above. Please note that any canvassing shall lead to disqualification.
An attractive remuneration package comprising a competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the successful candidates. The Commission also offers excellent career development opportunities.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested persons should submit their application with up-to-date detailed curriculum vitae including names and addresses of three traceable referees, to reach the undersigned not later than the 15th January, 2022. All late applications shall not be considered.
The Executive Secretary
Malawi Human Rights Commission
HB House, Off Paul Kagame Road
Private Bag 378