Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance (GAIA) in partnership with World Education Inc. /Bantwana Initiative (WEI/Bantwana) is implementing a USAID funded Ana Patsogolo Program/ Project. The program sets out to change life trajectories for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and highly vulnerable adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Thyolo District in the Southern Region of Malawi. These two overlapping populations live with escalated and intersecting risks for HIV infection, gender based violence and poor sexual and reproductive health and we need to provide solutions by integrating social protection supports and health services that will enable them not only adhere to treatment but also to thrive to adulthood.
GAIA in partnership with Bantwana seeks to recruit highly motivated and suitably qualified individuals for the implementation of OVC activities in Thyolo district in the following available positions.
POSITION: DISTRICT PARENTING OFFICER
Location: Thyolo district
The Parenting Officer (PO) will work closely with the Early Childhood Development programs at district level and community level. H/she will collaborate with other technical leads-Case Management, Youth Development, and Economic strengthening, civil society organizations (CSOs) and enrolled households to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of parenting interventions in the region. S/he will oversee the planning and actual delivery of trainings on effective parenting and will ensure effective documentation and monitoring of the delivery of training models as well as the measurement of impact of skills training obn effective parenting and child upbringing. S/he will provide technicai guidance to the local structures working in Early Childhood and Development.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide oversight and coordination support for the Parenting activities in the district
- Participate in the development of project anual, quarterly monthly and weekly work plans and scheduling of Parenting and ECD capacity building activities at community
- Support the development of Parenting and ECD budgets and maintain high standards of stewardship and accountability for all activity resources
- Provide mentorship, support supervision and coaching of CSO Project officers to enable them spearhead delivery of positive parenting services to beneficiary households.
- Facilitate and strengthen linkages and coordination between Parenting and the ECD sector with the other components of the project (Economic strengthening, systems strengthening, case management).
- Participate and work with project staff from consortium partners and CSOs to ensure harmonized planning and implementation of activities in respective thematic areas to achieve project goals.
- Support identification of training needs of partner organizations (CSOs) and community structures in Parenting.
- Periodically develop costed training plans and coordinate the training of Project Officers, CSOs, Field structures in Parenting and ECD service delivery.
- Coordinate planning and implementation of community dialogue meetings and Parenting outreaches at community level to strengthen parenting practices.
- Identify and develop a database of model parents and design actions to strengthen their communication and advocacy skills in order that they are able to reach out widely in community meetings, out reaches and events to strengthen effective parenting.
- Periodically follow up with project teams on implementation of planned and approved activities.
- Conduct site visits and spot checks to CSOs and Project Officers to monitor implementation.
- Take lead in technical development and compilation of district specific project reports for submission to the Parenting and ECD Coordinator
- Manage the documentation including electronic and non-electronic filing and storage of data on parenting, parenting tools, presentations, meeting minutes etc.
- Document Parenting best practices for sharing across program teams and with CSO and government partners
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual activity and progress reports detailing trend
- Guide the compilation and development of project interest stories and case studies and share with peers, stakeholders locally, nationally and with donors to track stories of change related to positive parenting and ECD practices.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Degree in Social work, Development Studies, Education or Community Psychology
- At least 3 years experience working with Child protection focused projects, OVC programming, case and knowledge of HIV/AIDS service delivery among positive caregivers and children
- Working knowledge of and experience with USAID funded programs/projects policies and procedures will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of child development and its influence on parent/child relationship in every stage of child’s development
- Experience of working with a parenting and ECD program will be a great asset.
- Ability to work autonomously with demonstrated creativity, initiative and commitment.
- Ability to work with multi-sectoral external agencies, such as community social services, schools, health facilities, and OVC service providers.
- Possess a high standard of personal and professional integrity wilingness to work as a team member, taking on additional tasks as needed to ensure the overall success of the project
- High level of attention to detail, ability to multi-task and work well under pressure in a culturally sensitive environment.
- Strong analytical and inter-personal skills with excellent advocacy skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION
All those interested in the vacant positions and are meeting the minimum requirements should send their curriculum Vitae, cover letter and copies of certified certificates to:
The Country Director
Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance
P.O. Box 51428
Or email to: email@example.com
The subject of the email should be titled the position being applied for”. Only shortlisted candidates who have suitable requirements for the job will be communicated to for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is Wednesday 27th October 2021.