POSITION: EXECUTIVE DEAN (5 POSTS)
The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences invites applications from suitably qualified, competent, dynamic and visionary individuals to the exciting and challenging vacant positions of Executive Deans of the Schools.
Kamuzu University for Health Sciences is a Public University in Malawi established under the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences Act no 20 of 2019. it is a Health and Alied Sciences University that intends to educate and graduate excellent health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant. The aim of the University is to be a University that prides itself on Excellence. Under the theme of Excellence for Life, It sets itself to competitively impart knowledge research and consultancy, and produce transferable skills and aptitudes to meet the needs of the Health Sector in the society at national regional and global levels.
To fulfill its mandate, the University is looking to recruit individuals to the position of the Executive Dean in its schools namely:
- School of Nursing
- School of Global and Public Health
- School of Maternal Neonatal and Reproductive Health
- School of Life Sciences and Allied Health Professions
- School of Medicine and Oral Health.
We seek to appoint Executive Deans who have a substantial leadership career in academia to provide strategic leadership and management in the Schools.
As a member of the executive management, the Executive Dean shall be a leader across the University and shall be called upon to share in the stewardship of the University’s mission, vision and values As leaders, the Executive Deans would engage and inspire the academic community to achieve ambitious Innovative research teaching, learning outreach and consultancy goals. Key focuses of the role will include accelerating education programs that transform students’ lives, and enhancing performance in research, especially the University’s articulation with a wide array of external organisations
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key duties and Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Providing academic and administrative leadership and general superintendence of the school and its Centres
- Setting the strategic direction of the School and ensuring that appropriate operational plans and strategies have been developed at all levels within the School to achieve the goals and specific objectives
- Ensuring that appropriate structures and mechanisms are in place for the governance of the School
- Monitoring recruitment induction, assessment training and development and succession planning of staff within the school to ensure that they are managed in accordance with relevant University policies
- Creating an enabling environment for the provision of quality teaching and learning in the School
- Ensuring that appropriately directed quality research is carried out within the School and that the School research contributes to the University’s research goals
- Building a culture of collaborative research within the school, across KUHOS, and with external organizations and partners
- Overseeing the processes and management of standards for students’ selection in the school
- Providing effective monitoring to ensure that finances and other resources in the School are managed responsibly and utilized prudently
- Establishing effective partnerships and collaborations with both Internal and external stakeholders including government, the business community, relevant professions, employer groups, students and communities
- Developing initiatives to provide new sources of revenue and community engagement based on the school’s expertise in teaching and learning and research
- Conducting research, consultancies and community Outreach activities
- Preparing relevant reports for the School Acting as a key representative of the Vice Chancellor and of the University to the external community, in particular to the professions and disciplines represented within the School.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
To be considered for the position of Executive Dean, you must demonstrate the following selection criteria in a curriculum vitae and supporting documents providing examples of relevant experience and achievements:
- Visionary leadership that unites and inspires people, and creates a culture of high performance and collegiality
- Experience in the senior management of resources and people to deliver outcomes against a background of change and development
- Strategic thinking, business development and implementation – both at a high level and through the work of others Skills in both internal and external communications within a complex environment
- Ability to mentor, coach and manage staff for success
- Demonstrated understanding of the local and global higher education context
- Outstanding skills for building relationships and partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Commitment to a contemporary approach to university education in STEM disciplines and pedagogic Innovations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A distinguished record of scholarship at a senior level in a tertiary Institution, including a research-based PhD in a relevant field or relevant experience at a senior level:
- Working in a senior leadership role in a tertiary Institution or relevant setting Identifying and capitalizing on avenues of research funding
- Successfully leading effective change initiatives
- Building relationships and partnerships with kay Institutions and government stakeholders
- Developing and implementing strategy in a complex environment
- Managing multidisciplinary teams.
TENURE OF THE POST AND REMUNERATION PACKAGE
The successful candidate shall be engaged on a three-year fixed term renewable contract subject to satisfactory performance. In addition, the candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with the seniority of the position and qualifications in line with the University’s Conditions of Service.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for the role should include the following information:
- A brief candidate statement (not more than four pages) addressing the skills and competencies, outlining your vision and what you will bring to the role
- Curriculum Vitae
Applications should be submitted to:
The Acting University Registrar
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Private Bag 360
Applications should be submitted by 15th May 2022.