POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER – SPORTS COMPLEX
The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) has a vacancy for the position of General Manager at the Sports Complex, which is a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) in the University.
The position is available in Blantyre on a three-year renewable contract.
Reporting to the Sports Complex Advisory Board, the General Manager will be responsible for providing overall leadership and management of all aspects at the Sports Complex, including its business activities, growth and relationships with members, guests, KUHeS employees and students, the general community and Government.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Business Growth and Strategy
- Driving business growth of the complex by developing and implementing strategies to retain and grow membership of the Complex
- Develop facilities and infrastructure plans in line with the long term business strategy of the Complex
- Develop and implement new programs responding to changing market needs to ensure relevance of the Sports Complex to the Malawi community.
- Develop and implement strategies for utilization of facilities and infrastructure for sustainable business growth.
- Leadership and Management
- Coordinating the development of the Complex’s long-term and annual business plans, ensuring business growth and sustainability
- Developing, maintaining and administering a sound organisation plan and initiate improvement where necessary
- Reviewing and initiating programs to provide members with a variety of sports and other activities
- Participating and serving in KUHes sports-related activities and committees
- Policy Development and Implementation
- Developing relevant general policies for approval by the Board, in line with the needs of the business
- Implementing Board-approved policies by directing their administration and execution
- Developing and approving specific operational policies, programs, procedures and guidelines in line with the general policies
- Conduct timely policy reviews to ensure compliance with applicable national laws
- Financial Management
- Coordinating the development of operational and capital budgets according to the budget calendar
- Monitoring financial statements and taking corrective action where necessary
- Manage cash flow and establish control systems to safeguard funds
- Analyse and review income and costs relative to goals of the Complex
- Monitoring expenditure and compliance with procurement policies and procedures.
- Human Resource Management
- Ensure implementation of a performance management system for increased productivity
- Negotiating and recommending approval of contracts to the Board
- Establishing and approving workloads, work methods and performance standards for staff
- Serving as liaison person between Complex employees and the Board.
- Quality Management
- Develop standards for food, beverage, sports and recreation based on best practice
- Ensuring implementation and maintenance of the highest standard for food, beverages, sports ancd recreation, entertainmnent and other services
- Ensuring cleanliness and sanitation of Complex facilities and the environment
- Overseeing the care and maintenance of all physical assets and facilities.
- Networking, Marketing and Public Relations
- Participating in community outreach and networking activities as approved by the Board
- Maintaining membership with professional associations
- Attending conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast with current information, developments and trends
- Coordinating the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the service and facilities to potential and present members
- Maintaining relations with police, fire, health institutions and other essential service providers.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, Marketing, Sports Science or related fields plus a Master’s degree in Business Administration or relevant field
- 5 years of relevant experience at managerial level.
Applicants meeting the requirements indicated above should submit applications including copies of certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names, emails and contacts of 3 traceable professional referees (one of which must be from the most recent or current employer), which should be sent to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Private Bag 360
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be submitted by close of business on Friday, 20th May, 2022.
Those submitting through email should indicate the title of the post on the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.