mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities.
Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact.
To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Job Title: HIV Clinical Advisor
Location: Blantyre – , MW (Primary)
Type of position: Fixed Term Contract
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide clinical leadership and mentorship to the Expert Client project which includes overseeing the provision of HIV Counselling and Testing Services and the provision of support for uptake of and retention in clinical care and antiretroviral therapy, viral load testing, and voluntary assisted partner notification. S/he will lead the clinical interventions and innovations by designing and implementing m2m’s support for the non-clinical wraparound services for HIV identification and management including ART for adults, children and infants.
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS/ KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Clinical Leadership and Mentorship 75%
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight for clinical operations at all sites for the implementation of scalable, high quality community and facility-based services across the care and treatment cascade for PLHIV.
- Provides technical oversight and capacity building of Expert Clients and health facility staff to increase HIV Testing, access to treatment, viral load testing and voluntary assisted partner notification.
- Leads design and implementation of clinical programme and non-clinical support activities for m2m Malawi, to increase access to and provision of quality health services for PLHIV .
- Develop a detailed implementation and activity program plan, including program targets
- Ensures program activities are evidence-based and reflect state-of-the-art knowledge and best practices for provision of HIV and AIDS, care, and treatment
- Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure that data informs program implementation
- Supervise and coordinate activities of technical staff at central office and serve as a technical advisor to field level counterparts
- Document program activities and results and contribute to technical deliverables generated by the project as required by the donor and the Ministry of Health
- Ensure target achievement through routine data monitoring and course-correction, as identified through quality improvement initiatives.
- Identify areas where additional technical support may be required and coordinate the provision of short-term technical assistance for the project.
- Take lead in development of HIV care and treatment and TB proposals and strategies as is needed
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual narrative progress reports as is required by m2m
- Participate in identifying program training needs and provide appropriate recommendations
- Represent the Project at district, regional and national meetings and participate in national technical working groups.
- Liaise regularly with m2m senior technical staff based in Head Office for technical support and guidance.
- Quality Improvement 25%
- Leads the implementation of a QI strategy to achieve the 95-95-95 targets at service delivery levels, both at facility and community level.
- Trains Expert Clients and other m2m and partner staff in QI tools and application.
- Designs/adapts QI training material, tools and job-aids.
- Directs and guide the m2m technical manager
- Oversees and assesses the implementation of the QI activities within the project and adjust the strategies based on results and lessons learned
- Documents results and lessons learned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery or Diploma in Clinical Medicine.
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field (Public Health, etc.) will be a plus.
- 5 to 7 years’ experience in HIV/TB clinical care and public health and HIV/AIDS programming.
- Demonstrated experience in program design, strategic planning and program management and implementation.
- Extensive knowledge on HTS, PMTCT, TB/HIV collaborative activities, HIV Care and Treatment services and quality of care assessment.
- Experience in providing clinical mentorship level
- Sound understanding of programmatic technical areas, including PMTCT, peer mentorship for health, and HIV care and treatment for adults, children, and infants to ensure confidentiality.
- Prior experience in building capacity in improving health and use of participatory methodologies for planning and implementing local-level activities.
- Experience and knowledge in working with HIV care and treatment health programs in Malawi
- Experience in off-site and on-site training and mentoring
- Experience working in collaboration with local government partners
- Experience with implementation of quality improvement activities.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong problem solving skills and analytical capabilities
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, training, facilitation, team building and problem solving skills, and ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION
To apply and for more information on these positions please visit the following website:
The duration of the contract is one year renewable subject to funding and performance.
This is a national position whose contract is subject to Malawian statutory regulations.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date is 24th August, 2021.
If you do not hear from us by 30th August 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.