The Catholic Health Commission (CHC) of the Diocese of Chikwawa is one of the main Commissions under the Social Services Directorate of the diocese, and is an arm of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi. Its main function is to enhance the provision of equitable health services in the Diocese of Chikwawa. Catholic Health Commission is affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University – Jhpiego in developing innovations to enhance the capacity of health care workers, strengthening health systems and improve delivery of care towards improving the health and well-being. The Catholic Health Commission, therefore, seeks to engage the services of a well experienced, highly motivated and suitably qualified person of Malawi origin to fill the following positions tenable at Chikwawa.
POSITION: HYGIENIST (1)
Reports to: The Site Team Leader
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Hygienist/ Office provide a clean and sterile environment in and around a VMMC site following standard infection control precautions. The cleaning duties require a lot of time standing, as well as a lot of time bending and lifting, so being physically able to perform these tasks is essential. For safety, it’s important for the Hygienist/ to wear personal protective equipment, to know how to operate equipment properly and to know how to use the proper cleaning supplies to avoid injuries.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintaining cleanliness of clinic rooms, waiting rooms, handrails, offices of administrative staff, and the restrooms.
- Ensure proper storage of housekeeping equipment and/or materials like brushes, brooms, disinfectants, rags, buckets and hand gloves.
- Maintaining an inventory of cleaning materials like brooms, disinfectants, toilet rolls, etc.
- Provide reports on equipment or facilities like the floor and walls of the clinic, rusty beds, and windows that need replacement.
- Ensures that standard infection control precautions of safety in a health facility are strictly complied with. He/she is detailed to ensure that cleaning chemicals are used as prescribed.
- Ensure appropriately dispose of medical waste products like syringes, hand gloves, face mask, sachets of tablets, etc.
- Dust furniture as well as equipment
- Collect dirty linen for appropriate washing
- Wipeout blood or other body fluids and then disinfect the area of contact
- Clean all offices and common and support cleaning of clinical rooms and equipment.
- Ensure the office kitchens are well maintained, clean and neat by arranging the cupboards and maintaining clean kitchen and bathroom towels.
- Make photocopies of documents/training materials and assist with other copying or scanning needs.
- Set up the conference room or offices for meetings as needed. This includes arranging tables, chairs, and setting up refreshments.
- Collect and dispose of garbage on a daily basis.
- Maintain office plants by ensuring regular watering and checking against pests when required
- Carry out office errands as required using public transport if needed.
- Assist the Stores and Program Assistant with receiving and dispatching goods as well as other staff members with tasks as needed
- Observe infection prevention procedures as per the guidelines/protocols while cleaning the office and other equipment
- Assume other responsibilities, as may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of Malawi school Certificate of Education (MSCE)
- Basic computer skills added advantage
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a hospital and office setting
- Working in VMMC program as an hygienist is an added advantage
- Good organizational skills as well as strong hygienic practice
- The ability to take the initiative
- Knowledge of the process of decontamination, cleaning and sterilizing equipment including storage
- Proven ability and/or inclination to follow instructions
- Ability to maintain a positive disposition at all times
- The ability to maintain an open mind to the acquisition of new skills and knowledge while on the job, especially the use of chemicals and understanding of basic safety procedure
- The ability to take the initiative where and when necessary that is leadership skill
- Effective interpersonal skill
- The ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Problem-solving skill
- Ability to work as part of a team
- The ability to be punctual always.
REMUNERATION AND MODE OF APPLICATION
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidate. If you believe you meet the above requirements, submit your application letter, up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates and names of three traceable referees to the address below indicating the position applied for.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 31st August 2021 and only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The Director of Social Services
Diocese of Chikwawa
P.O Box 162
Diocese of Chikwawa is an equal employer and qualified women are encouraged to apply.