POSITION: MANAGING DIRECTOR
Export Development Fund (EDF) is a development finance institution (DFI) mandated to promote the growth as well as diversification of the country’s exports. EDF’s mission is to accelerate structural transformation in Malawi through various funded and non-funded interventions availed to businesses in growth sectors of the economy. EDF also plays a leading role in job creation by investing in ambitious projects and initiatives with the aim of enhancing the competitiveness of Malawi’s exports.
EDF’s young and dynamic team is motivated towards the collective goal of transforming Malawi’s exporting sectors for accelerated economic development.
EDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the position of Managing Director (MD) to provide strategic leadership and to coordinate effective implementation of the organisation’s transformational agenda espoused in its strategic plan.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The MD shall be responsible for the overall direction and administration of programs, products, and services provided by EDF as well as its financial performance, credit quality, business development, operations, regulatory compliance, and risk management.
THE MD SHALL:
- Be accountable to the Board of Directors of EDF primarily through the corporate scorecard and attendant accountability frameworks.
- Be responsible for the implementation of EDF’s strategic plan with the goal of accelerating structural transformation.
- Be directly responsible for supervising the execution of all operational plans of EDF.
- Be a direct liaison between the Board of Directors and Management of EDF
- Be a leader who can clearly articulate EDF’s transformational agenda to all stakeholders, coordinate multiple work streams, and delegate tasks without losing sight of the desired outcomes.
- Be an individual who understands the developmental priorities of the Republic of Malawi and capable of designing initiatives to be executed by EDF in support of attainment of the country’s developmental aspirations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The major responsibilities of the MD include but are not limited to:
- Strategic leadership and organisational management
- Providing strategic guidance and leadership to the management team of EDF with a view of increasing efficiency, productivity, profitability and enhancing its competitive edge and image.
- Providing general oversight of EDF’s day to day operations ensuring that they are effectively and efficiently coordinated, implemented, and conducted within the framework agreed to by the Board.
- Building and maintaining high performance culture through effective performance management, communication and appropriately coaching of skilled staff.
- Providing clear leadership, promote and foster a team culture consistent with EDF corporate values.
- Linking the strategy of EDF to the national development plans for Malawi, including the National Export Strategy (NES) and Malawi 2063.
- Developing EDF into a sustainable and dinancially sound DFI able to autonomously expand its developmental impacts across various sectors of the economy.
- Driving the EDF to effectively promote and support investments in production, processing, logistics, trade carrying infrastructure and other technological advancements through provision of a range of innovative development finance instruments.
- Develop and operationalize innovative products, programs and services and take lead in promoting the discipline of structured finance in Malawi as a quick way of mobilizing capital towards catalytic sectors of the economny.
- Ensure EDF’s sustainability by formulating a business model that considers EDF’s vision, mission and strategy supported by robust governance structures and processes
- Promote awareness and visibility of EDF brand and conduct effective market research for export and import substitution projects.
- Resource mobilization, strategic partnerships and stakeholder relations
- Take lead in mobilizing resources and developing a diverse pool of funding sources for EDF through lines of credit, capital market issuance programs, syndicated loans equity subscriptions from existing as well as and new shareholders.
- Take lead in roadshows, investor pitches and other bilateral meetings with potential funders to showcase EDF as an attractive destination for debt and equity investments.
- Develop and maintain effective strategic relationships with key including shareholders, financiers, contract stakeholders counterparties, clients, and partners.
- Establish EDF as a significant DFI in the region and position it to attract capital flows into Malawi from regional and global DFl networks.
- Set the direction for EDF and ensure delivery of stakeholder expectations through formulation and implementation of Countercyclical and other DFI fnterventions that respond to the County’s developmental needs.
- Governance and risk management
- Strengthen the governance and risk management framework of EDF and promote a risk management culture across the organization.
- Provide leadership in assessing major risks of EDF and development of effective mechanisms for monitored and mitigating the risks.
- Provide enabling environment for the Board of Directors to effectively supervise the various functions of the organization and ensure proactive/voluntary reporting of significant matters to the Board.
- Facilitate the effective functioning of the Board and its sub-committees.
- Provide leadership in adherence to prudential guidelines issued by the regulatory authorities and adoption of international best practice in risk management.
- Communication and information management
- Ensure that effective information management systems are in place.
- Provide a framework for effective internal and external communication.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE REQUISITE COMPETENCIES
The candidate should possess an Undergraduate Degree and a Master’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Banking or other relevant fields.
The candidate must have demonstrable knowledge of
key developmental priorities for the Republic of Malawi and should have a track record working in either a financial institution or other public policy related jobs with a combined work experience of at least ten (10) years. Hands on experience in macroeconomic policy will be an added advantage.
NATURE OF EMPLOYMENT
Successful candidate shall be offered a performance related contract for a period of 3 years with an attractive salary and benefits package.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should submit their applications clearly indicating the position together with detailed CV and names of three (3) traceable referees by close of business, Monday, 28th February 2022 via email to: email@example.com
All applications should be addressed to:
The Board Chairperson
Export Development Fund Limited
First Floor, Pamodzi House Presidential Way Drive
P.O. Box 30063
The applications must be clearly stated ‘Application tor the post of Managing Director’ and only shortlisted applicants shall be acknowledged and invited for interviews.
EDF is an equal opportunity employer as such, women are encouraged to apply.