SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE FOR FAMILY INDEPENDENCE
SAFI is one of the leading Non-Government Organizations that has been implementing development projects in Malawi since 2007. SAFI has a vision to make all families become self-reliant. Its mission is to empower rural households with knowledge, skills and resources that improve their living standards. SAFI is one of the Partners implementing a Community Nutrition Project called AKULE NDI THANZI. The project is being funded by USAID and Corporate Sector partners (NU Skin Enterprises and P & G). Implementation of AKULE NDI THANZI Project has started in June 2022 and will finish in May 2027. SAFI will implement the agriculture component of the project which seeks to assist households improve their access to nutritious healthy foods.
SAFI invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to join the team that will implement AKULE NDI THANZI project.
Position : Production Supervisor (1) based at SAFI Campus in Madisi, Dowa
Reporting to: Project Manager
The primary function of the production supervisor is to plan and coordinate production and multiplication of planting materials for OFSP vines and fruit trees which will be distributed to project beneficiaries. The incumbent will ensure that SAFI produces planting materials of the right quality and quantity on time.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare an annual production plan that stratifies the demand for planting materials for the year.
- Prepare an itemized budget for tools and implements required in multiplication of planting materials
- Oversee implementation of good agronomic practices for OFSP vine multiplication and fruit tree multiplication
- Coordinate operation and maintenance of irrigation infrastructure on production sites at the SAFI Campus
- Design and implement integrated Pest & Disease Control measures to ensure that planting materials that are produced are free from pests and diseases
- Coordinate operation and maintenance of green houses on the production sites
- Ensure that planting materials have been properly prepared before distribution to project beneficiaries and coordinate distribution of the same to all project sites
- Provide technical backstopping to field officers in promoting the production of OFSP and fruits.
- Facilitate training of people who come to SAFI Campus for training.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Diploma in Agriculture/ Horticulture or any related field
- Excellent knowledge on vegetative seed multiplication systems
- Demonstrable experience in operation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Demonstrable experience in crop production in green houses
- Proven experience in fruit tree seedlings production
- Proven experience in conducting training of smallholder farmers
- Excellent knowledge of Integrated Pest Management Systems in production vegetative seed multiplication systems.
Applications with detailed CV that provide traceable records, contact phone numbers and three traceable referees must be forwarded to the following address by the close of business on 28th June,2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. SAFI is an equal opportunity employer and qualified ladies are encouraged to apply.
The Country Director
P. O. Box 146