Lead Organization: Greenlivelihoods
Project/Activity name: Moringa Value Chain Enterprise Development (MOVED) Activity in Malawi
Greenlivelihoods (GL) is a Malawian based non-for-profit organization that champions green development and value chains development and its commercialization processes for increased sustainable economic opportunities of the poor and marginalized but business-bankable people via cooperative and/or group orchestrated programming. With funding from Unites States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Malawi, GL is leading the implementation of a two year project entitled Moringa Value Chain Enterprise Development (MOVED) Activity in Salima district. This project is being implementation in partnership with Nutri Products and Moringa Malawi (The Seed Masters) in collaboration with the Government of Malawi.
The main objective of MOVED Project is to contribute to increased investment portfolio for rural economic growth, improved food-income security and ensure reduced vulnerability of small-scale farmers to the effects of climate change in Salima district by 2023.
MOVED Project will pursue the following areas of specific objectives (SOs):
SO1) Increasing community- household ‘investment-financial capital ‘through promotion of market inclusive and commercialization of Moringa integrated value chain businesses.
SO2) Increasing household economic, environmental and health security through Moringa integrated agroforestry farming and cooperative approached investments.
POSITION: PROJECT OFFICER – AGRIBUSINESS AND AGRICULTURAL VALUE CHAIN DEVELOPMENT
The Project Officer will work with cooperatives (smallholder farmers) and Moringa Incubation Hub Leaders as well as youth groups, supervise, and develop moringa farms and boost moringa production in line with market quality standards.
The Business Development Officer will coordinate market assessments, link with value chain actors on moringa product market demands and supply issues and lead on market linkages, p product packaging and branding; facilitating business development and management trainings e.g. Profit & Loss (Gross Margin Analysis etc.).
S/He will be supervised by the Project Manager alongside the Project Director. S/He will be based in Salima. Contract period one year renewable.
Design, implement and coordinate activities, with key implementing partners in agricultural value chains, aimed at reinforcing the dissemination of selected and innovative agricultural solutions with measurable impact at the beneficiary level and with specific consideration of youth and women.
The tasks of the Project Officer will include but not be limited to:
- Support the programme in implementation and coordination of activities related to upstream and downstream agribusinesses in synergy with the other intervention areas of the MOVED Project. •Coordinate implementation of project activities with relevant government institutions, private and non-state actors as well as other projects of Greenlivelihoods.
- Develop and execute selected core elements of the program with strategic vision, goals and objectives, mainly related to supporting and strengthening agribusinesses involved in value chain development Processes
- In collaboration with implementing partners, coordinate capacity development approaches where agro dealers are capacitated to understand and meet smallholder farmers agricultural production needs
- Support the commercialisation processes of Moringa innovations released and approved by the authorities.
- Provide technical support and advisory services to key stakeholders in order to improve access to technologies in Moringa production and market functions.
- Coordinate technical support and advisory services aimed at boosting income, turnover, number of customers, formalised business relationships, investments turnover, employment and reduced production costs for Moringa growers.
- Lead the preparation and implementation of collaboration agreements (e.g. public-private partnerships) at grassroots level
- Perform systematic data collection and ensure accurate documentation of MOVED Project activities and compile regular technical reports.
- Facilitate the promotion of commercially viable linkages between input manufactures, input suppliers and smallholder farmers aimed at increasing productivity and income for Moringa Growers.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCES AND EXPERIENCE
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Entrepreneurship, Agricultural/Development Economics, Agribusiness, or any related discipline.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience with proven track records in development of value chains, small and medium enterprise development and agribusinesses.
- Experience in various contexts, with various partners (e.g. government) and target groups (e.g. agro dealers and innovative farmers).
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, ADDITIONAL COMPETENCES
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and pro-actively
- Ability to engage and collaborate with a broad range of stakeholders including farmers, company senior management or professional staff, donor representatives and others
- Excellent networking skills
- Great communication skills (in written and spoken English)
- Good computer skills in business and office softwares (Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint)
- Capacity to ensure timely and professional oriented results
- Competency in contextual report writing and presenting
- Ability to identify own learning needs and engage in self-study for community business benefit
- Advanced skills in working with digital communication formats and software (e.g. Skype for Business, MS Teams)
- Willingness to travel domestically.
HOW TO APPLY
Eligible candidates meeting the required qualifications and experience above should submit their applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), relevant copies of Certificates, three traceable referees, include the job title to:
P.O. Box 338
Via email: email@example.com with cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receiving applications is Friday, 13th August, 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Greenlivelihoods thanks all applicants for their interest.