Company: Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS)
The Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS) is a statutory organization established in 1972 by an Act of Parliament (Cap 51:02 of the Laws of Malawi, with a mandate to promote metrology, standardization and quality assurance of commodities and of their manufacture, production, processing or treatment; and further to provide for matters incidental to, or connected with standardization. The MBS is also mandated to provide metrology services which involve verification of weighing and measuring instruments undertaken through the implementation of the Metrology Act (Act No. 10 of 2016).
In order to fulfill its mandate effectively and efficiently, an opportunity has arisen to engage qualified persons of Malawian origin to fill positions tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre.
|Head Office, Blantyre
|Deputy Director of Finance
|Number of Posts
Job Purpose, Roles and Responsibilities
To ensure that the Bureau’s financial management and reporting meet the highest standards in line with generally accepted standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the key duties and responsibilities:
- Supervising the processing of payments in line with laid down policies, standards and legislation according to the established approval procedures;
- Ensuring that all financial transactions are properly supported, authorised and recorded;
- Preparing bank reconciliations statements and relevant control accounts reconciliations;
- Keeping and issuing accountable documents;
- Issuing receipts and preparing cheques;
- Preparing accounting schedules and variance analysis for monthly management accounts and annual financial statements;
- Ensuring that effective risk management systems are developed and implemented;
- Managing taxes, statutory and other regulatory remittances;
- Producing financial reports;
- Managing audits and other risk mitigation procedures;
- Providing information and assistance to internal or external auditors in times of audit activities;
- Conducting performance appraisals for staff under charge.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
Bachelor of Accountancy degree with minimum of 3 (three) years of work experience in Accounting OR Diploma in Accounting studying toward Professional Qualification such as ACCA OR CIMA with a minimum of 4 years’ experience at Senior Assistant Accountant level.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The MBS shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to the successful candidate in accordance with its emolument structure which includes salary, medical insurance and membership to a Contributory Pension Scheme.
Method of Application
Those interested should submit their applications together with a detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) traceable referees. The application should be sent to the address below not later than 19th January, 2023.
The Director General
Malawi Bureau of Standards
P.O. Box 946
The MBS is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, qualified females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.