Company: Salima Sugar Company Limited
Salima Sugar Company Limited (SSCL) is a limited liability company incorporated in Malawi under the Companies Act with postal address P.O. Box 200, Lilongwe whose Head Office is situated at Plot 588, Area 3, Lilongwe.
SSCL is a subsidiary of Greenbelt Investments Holdings Limited and its Partners. The Company’s business is development of sugar plantations, production of sugar and its by-products for the Malawi and export markets.
The Company is now looking for a dynamic and well-versed individual to fill the position of CHIEF CHEMIST.
Supervises chemical analysis processes. Reviews the work assignments of chemists and support staff for optimum staff utilization. Plans analytical procedures for use in complex analyses. Reviews special chemical investigations.
- Oversee laboratory operations: Lead and manage the day-to-day activities of the laboratory, ensuring smooth operations, adherence to standard operating procedures, and compliance with safety protocols.
- Develop and implement testing procedures: Design and develop accurate and reliable testing methodologies for chemical analysis, ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Perform chemical testing: Conduct complex chemical analyses of raw materials, finished products, and environmental samples, using various analytical techniques and instruments.
- Quality control: Ensure the accuracy and reliability of test results by implementing quality control measures, including regular calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- Data analysis and reporting: Analyze test results, interpret data, and prepare comprehensive reports detailing findings and recommendations for further action.
- Research and development: Stay abreast of the latest advancements in chemical analysis techniques and technologies, and develop innovative approaches to improve laboratory operations and efficiency.
- Team leadership and management: Hire, train, and mentor a team of chemists, providing guidance, support, and professional development opportunities to foster a high-performing and collaborative work environment.
- Collaboration with other Government agencies such as Malawi Bureau of Standards.
- Ensure compliance: Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards related to chemical testing and safety, and ensure compliance with all applicable requirements.
- Budget management: Monitor and control laboratory expenses, develop and manage budgets, and make recommendations for the procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies.
Chief Chemist Required Skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory techniques, instruments, and analytical methods
- Proficient in data analysis and interpretation
- Effective leadership and team management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks
- Knowledge of quality control principles and procedures
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in computer software and data management systems
- Strong understanding of safety protocols and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or a related field, a Master’s or Ph.D. is an added advantage
- Proven 7 Years’ experience in a sonior or leadership role in a chemical laboratory or related industry
- In-depth knowledge of chemical analysis techniques and instrumentation
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards, regulations, and safety protocols
- Strong understanding of quality control principles and practices
- Demonstrated leadership and team management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Proficient in computer software and data analysis tools
- Certification or licensure as a Chemist by a professional body will be required, depending on local regulations and industry standards.
The job offers a competitive pay and benefits package. Qualified and interested candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names of three traceable referees to the address below, no later than Monday, 31st January 2024 to the following address:
The Executive Board Chairman,
Salima Sugar Company Limited
P.O. Box 200, Lilongwe.
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. Only shortilisted candidates shall be acknowledged.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER