Company: Civil Society Network on Climate Change (CISONECC)
The Civil Society Network on Climate Change (CISONECC) is an umbrella body of Civil Society Organizations working in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management in Malawi. The Network’s mission is to provide a platform for engagement between government and CSOs on climate change and related fields for improved adaptation and mitigation to climate change impacts, with an overall objective of building community resilience to the impacts of climate change. CISONECC comprises of national and international NGOs, other networks, alliances and research institutions, with a secretariat based in Lilongwe.
CISONECC secretariat seeks to recruit an experienced and skilled candidate to work as a Communications and Advocacy Manager.
Position: Communications and Advocacy Manager
Reporting: National Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Development, Management and Implementation
- Provide day to day management and coordination for the development and implementation of CISONECC projects in close collaboration with consortium members, district structures, other CSOs, partners, community structures, and other key project stakeholders.
- Take a lead role in Project Implementation and Coordination at all levels and linking it to the national level.
- Support staff and partners to strengthen their skills and capacity in communications and advocacy.
- Write and/or contribute to preparation of periodic internal and donor reports.
- Actively participate in consortium level periodic meetings convened by consortia leads.
- Closely work with other CSOs, district level structures and partners to mutually agree on detailed operational plans and indicators for measuring achievements as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning in line with different project priorities and plans.
- Identify any emerging opportunities for wider partnerships in the area of climate change and disaster risk management.
- Undertake regular and mutually agreed review visits to partners and districts; and provide guidance on enhancing the quality delivery of different projects.
- Work with different consortia partners that CISONECC belongs to in order to identify capacity building and training needs of partners and communities; and take initiatives to get them addressed.
- Bring up major concerns about project operations to the notice of senior leadership for remedial action.
- Draw up and implement partner capacity enhancement plans in a consultative manner
Communications and Advocacy
- Lead in the Implementation of the CISONECC and projects publications policy; providing inputs, content development, coordination of production and dissemination of press releases, publications, articles and sharing of project knowledge and successes.
- Provide inputs and information for elaboration of CISONECC’s communication strategy.
- Support towards increased awareness of CISONECC’S mandate and goals through dissemination of information, and supporting organization of CISONECC events.
- In coordination with Programme Manager, support in the development and preparation of materials for profiling and awareness-raising including briefing materials and press releases.
- In coordination with MEAL Manager, support in organization of publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities;
- Lead in the review of reference materials, identification of reference materials for retention and maintenance of information database and photo library;
- Liaise with media outlets to ensure that the appropriate information and messages are reaching the public, including preparing press releases;
- Prepare promotional material on the CISONECC activities and projects, including pamphlets, videos, etc;
- Prepare communication reports in liason with the Programme Manager;
- Develop and maintain a CISONECC website, Twitter, Facebook for information dissemination;
- Prepare and disseminate CISONECC weekly updates; and
- Such other duties and responsibilities as the coordinator may from time to time assign.
- Manage CISONECC’s various resources under different projects assigned to the communications and advocacy office.
- Ensure that project resources are being utilised in the most cost-effective manner.
Reporting and Work Programming
- Make regular monitoring visits to partner organizations and project implementation sites to review progress of work and provide strategic inputs and in particular to help to ensure that project obligations for monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annual planning and reporting are properly met.
- Provide regular updates to CISONECC management on project progress and the internal and external environment affecting implementation of CISONECC activities
Programme Quality and Learning
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning team to ensure that the MEAL Framework is effectively implemented in the project
- Ensure participation of partners in project review and learning exercises
- Lead in documenting good models on climate change and disaster risk management for scale up and influencing policy and practice in Malawi, and for sharing with other stakeholders
- Ensure that all learning and innovative experiences from the different projects are captured and shared to all stakeholders both at district and national level.
- Prepare TORs for and provide support to all project reviews and assessments.
- Ensure a safe programming plan is in place and implemented for the project
Representation Network and Alliance Building
- Represent CISONECC secretariat at various external fora as directed by the National Coordinator
- Actively participate in programmes and technical meetings as a member of the programme team.
- Build and foster national alliances and networks that enhance sharing, learning and collaboration among relevant organisations and individuals;
- Adopt a proactive approach to undertaking relevant lobbying, campaigning and advocacy work to increase other peoples’ understanding of climate change and disaster risk management issues and to influence their approach and decisions in support of CISONECC work.
Funding and Donor Management
- Ensure compliance with back donor requirements especially, timely submission of quality descriptive and financial reports;
- Facilitate compliance with donor grant requirements, provide input into donor reports and support the management of donor visits as appropriate;
- Assist in drafting high quality reports according to donor contract agreements.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as the National Coordinator may from time to time assign.
- Good knowledge of the application of climate change and disaster risk management-related issues and policy to a local government context.
- Good knowledge of the linkage and interaction between access to energy and food systems
- Skills in development of advocacy initiatives, research and policy analysis.
- Networking and relationships building.
- Undertaking context and power analysis.
- Competence in working with the media.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Competence with Microsoft Office or similar computer software, and web content management software.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- A confident and outgoing self-starter who rises to the challenge and is proactive in seeking new opportunities.
- Able to deal with a diverse and demanding workload and to work under minimum of supervision.
- Natural enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter.
- A team player
- Flexible approach to working hours.
Qualification and Experience:
- At least a Degree in Communications or Political Science/Social Science or Environment and Natural Resources Management (with an experience in communications/advocacy) or equivalent.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in climate change and disaster risk management or in similar work.
- Demonstrable strong experiences in communications, advocacy and policy influencing, preferably within the climate change and disaster risk management sector.
- Experience in working with local and national level government structures.
- Experience in developing and implementing communications and advocacy strategies.
CISONECC is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants are requested to send a motivation/cover letters and resumes, with names and contacts of three traceable referees to the following address:
The Finance and Administration Manager
Civil society Network on Climate Change
Hand delivery be done through our offices in Area 49, Opposite Good Hope Private Clinic, Church Close Street, Plot No. 49/2/446/2, New Gulliver, Lilongwe, Malawi.
The application can also be sent through the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. The full details of the vacancy can also be accessed through the CISONECC website: www.cisoneccmw.org or Facebook page: Civil Society Network on Climate Change or twitter page:
CISONECC upholds its duty to safeguard, protect and promote the welfare of its stakeholders and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and partners’ requirements.
Closing date for receiving application is 12th January, 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be communicated.