PROMOTING GENDER TRANSFORMATIVE AND YOUTH INCLUSIVE DEMOCRACY IN MALAWI
With financial support from the European Union, Oxfam is working in a consortium with Women Legal Resources Centre (WOLREC) to coordinate the implementation of a 3 year and 4 months project on Promotion of Gender Transformative and Youth Inclusive Democracy project in Malawi. Oxfam is the lead and grant holder. The Project aims at empowering civil society organizations and support their efforts aiming at deepening democracy and strengthening the social contract in Malawi. Ultimately, the project will enhance inclusion of women, youth and marginalized groups to meaningfully participate in political and decision-making structures and processes.
Oxfam, therefore, seeks to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced Driver to be based in Lilongwe, Malawi for a fixed term of initial 2 years based on the terms below:
The position holder will support implementation of Oxfam Programs through driving Oxfam vehicles in a responsible manner ensuring the safety of both the passengers and the vehicles and to perform a variety of associated tasks delivering a superior level of service and support under the Promoting Gender Transformative and Youth Inclusive Democracy in Malawi Project.
- Drive at a safe speed, within legal requirements, adjusted to the prevailing road and weather conditions, and with consideration for safety of the passengers, other road users, the load, and the technical state of the vehicle.
- Be professional and courteous to passengers
- Correctly fill in the vehicle logbook with details of each journey and update the logbook when fuel is taken.
- Ensure the Tender Waiver form is completed for all non-Oxfam GB employees.
- Carry messages and/or goods to other parties. When delivering goods, carry correctly filled in and signed waybill copies and deliver in accordance with Oxfam procedures, ensuring properly authorised and signed receipt of delivery is obtained.
- Ensure vehicles are roadworthy by conducting the necessary daily and weekly check-ups as specified in the vehicle policy and reporting and resolving any issues or problems.
- Ensure vehicles are properly fuelled, at or above half tank capacity, and that sufficient fuel is carried on journeys to remote locations.
- Ensure the safe parking and always locking of the vehicle, preferably within an Oxfam GB compound, but if not possible, then an alternate secure area. Ensure that valuables are not left in an unattended vehicle.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- A minimum of Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) with any relevant professional certificates
- A valid full driver’s licence with excellent knowledge of Malawian road rules and regulations
- Significant experience driving vehicles and passengers.
- Knowledge of and experience driving in remote and difficult locations and under unusual driving conditions.
- Good knowledge of districts in Malawi, roads and road conditions. Easily able to navigate from one location to another.
- Good knowledge of basic vehicle operation and ability to undertake basic maintenance and running repairs if in remote locations, such as oil changes, tyre changes, replacing fan belts etc.
- A critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and staff and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional, calm and pleasant manner.
- Good organisational and personal management skills, with ability respond quickly and accurately to queries and issues.
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably cooperative with members of other teams. Willing to put in extra hours to help out colleagues when required, including after hours and at weekends.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
At Oxfam, we believe that every aspect of our work can lead to a positive outcome. If you have the same opinion, together with the ability to meet the challenges involved, these roles offer scope for immense personal fulfilment – as well as outstanding opportunities to develop your career.
Oxfam is committed to providing a competitive compensation package based on a 40-hour work week.
How to apply
If your qualifications meet the requirements, and believe in Oxfam values- please apply by visiting our website at: http://www.oxfam.org.uk using the numbers and Link below;
INT 10090 https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/20388/description – Driver
The closing date is Tuesday, 19 December 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted – those that applied earlier should not re apply.
Oxfam is an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation.