Company: Nascent Solutions Inc
Nascent Solutions is seeking two (2) Field Assistants to support field activities in the beneficiary schools/communities for its McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program being implemented in Central and Southern Malawi. The McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). It is designed to improve the literacy of school-age children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness, and student attendance; and to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
The Field Assistants will work in collaboration with the project technical staff and community partners and will be responsible for overseeing all project activities in his /her respective district of intervention. Field Assistants will be required to spend 80% of his/her time effectively following up on donated commodities, facilitating education, WASH, health, and nutrition project activities; mobilizing partners; collecting data, controlling commodity management, and reporting on the various project activities.
Location: Kasungu and Thyolo
Type of Employment: Fixed Contract
Reporting: Deputy Chief of Party
Position Period: 8 Months
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work hand in hand with the Deputy Chief of the Party, Technical team, and Commodity Management team in the project implementation and receipt and delivery of donated food commodities in primary schools and ECDs
- Support regular field supervision visits to storage facilities and distribution events to monitor, evaluate, and report on commodity management systems and procedures to ensure that inventory accountability standards and requirements are followed
- Carry out monthly commodity inventory in all school stores in his/her project district/zones/schools and reconcile any variances with the Commodity Management Committee
- Follow up with schools on the use of project commodities as per stipulated guidelines; and report on commodity management in all project zones/schools
- In collaboration with the government frontline workers (HSAs, Social Welfare Officers, AEDOs, AEDCs etc) facilitate the implementation of WASH, health and nutrition project activities in schools and surrounding communities.
- Facilitate community mobilization on community engagement, safety, security, management, and proper use of donated food commodities, facilities, and tools for the project.
- Lead in conducting education community awareness campaigns
- Report on any misuse of donated commodities, facilities, and items/resources or any activity liable to discredit the organization or obstruct the attainment of program
- Responsible for the periodic and unannounced control of all school stores
- Participate in district-level meetings and various committees for effective project implementation and the promotion of ownership of the project by the
- Capture success stories and regularly take pictures of project activities
- Perform any other duty as assigned by management
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A university degree/diploma in either Education, Nutrition, Health, Social Works, Social Sciences, Management or any other related field
- Strong research skills (undertake surveys, experience in data collection and analysis, and report writing)
- Ability to communicate appropriately with beneficiaries and partners
- Previous experience in managing an integrated project on education, gender, health, nutrition food commodities, and agriculture will be an added advantage.
- Must demonstrate skills in community mobilization
- Possing experience working with grassroots and community organizations
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the culture and customs of the communities where Nascent works
- Ability to ride a motorbike as well as possession of a valid rider’s license
- Knowledge of English
- Acceptance to live in the communities and under challenging conditions.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV and indicate salary expectation to email@example.com. Please include “Field Assistant-” in the email subject line. Applications sent to any other email apart from the one provided and CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for applications is 5th January 2024.