Company: The Lilongwe Academy International School (TLAIS)
The Lilongwe Academy International School (TLAIS) is an international private school, conveniently situated in Area 47/4 Lilongwe behind Silver Stadium. The School is founded on the firm belief that every child is unique, but all children need excellent education and motivation of their spirit, mind and body to be well developed as future responsible citizens and leaders. Hence the motto “Academic Excellence and Beyond!” Its mission is to achieve distinction and excellence in academic performance, sports, conduct and be exemplary in preserving our culture and perfect life skills.
The Lilongwe Academy now invites applications from Candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience as follows:
Position: Finance Manager
Among other duties the successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Ensure that there is sound financial administration in the school by instituting an efficient accounting system.
- Must be fully conversant with the financial regulations and accounting procedures for him/her to ably give proper guidance to stakeholders.
- Ensure proper provision is made for the safe keeping of resources and all financial documents including, official receipts, requisitions, cheque books, local purchase order books and all accounting documents and assets under his/her charge.
- Ensure; timely and effective supervision of all tasks under his/her authority entrusted with the receipt and expenditure of resources and take precautions in maintaining efficient and regular checks, against negligence on the part of officers which may result in the misappropriation
- He/She, must ensure that no payment is made without sufficient supporting documents.
- He/She, must manage the organizations debt collection process and procedures.
- Assists, monitors, and supervises the acceptance of daily cash in his/her charge via digital means and verifies the amounts with the balances showing in his/her records or those of the bank
- Submit any financial statements required by Management on a monthly or quarterly basis as required.
- He/She, shall ensure that all books of accounts, registers, records etc., are maintained in accordance with accounting instructions and financial regulations
- The Finance Manager shall report to Management on the following: -
- Weekly basis on school income and expenditure including the adherence of standard procurement procedures.
- Weekly bank accounts’ position with respect to balances, and commitments versus bank balances.
- Updates on budget line spending.
- He/She, shall provide Quarterly Management Reports and performance on the budget to management before submission to the Board through the Head of Finance.
- Initiate budgeting for the following year taking into account all projections and analysis from current data until the budget is approved by the Board.
- The Finance Manager shall where appropriate, ensure that payments to the Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) are paid as timely as is practically possible.
- Assist in facilitating Financial Audit of the school’s accounts every year and ensure that they are provided with the necessary information which should be submitted on time as well as be the point person during and after the audit and deal with queries.
- Lead the development and implementation of financial management policies and systems and supervision of the finance department
- He/She, shall prevent, detect, identify and assist in correcting noncompliance with policies, rules and regulations by management
- Support the standardization of financial operational systems and policies across the Academy.
- Finance Manager shall in consultation with the Head of Finance plan and track financial activities with management for all operations and financial aspects of the Academy.
- He/She, shall supervise and oversee annual performance evaluation process for reportees with input from the Head of Finance.
- Approve requisition payments.
- He/She, shall reply promptly and fully to all financial and other queries raised by management, giving the particulars or information required.
- Initiate, draft, implement and monitor policies to regulate the finance department and manage risk.
- Carry out any other assignments as delegated and directed by the Managing Director from time to time.
- Identify the existing financial management strengths and weaknesses and advise the Managing Director on how to improve the systems when necessary.
- Hold regular meetings with reportees and monitor the budget to provide financial leadership.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance plus fully qualified ACCA.
- At least 6 years accounting experience, 3 of which should be at the level of Senior Accountant/or Finance Manager.
- Experience working with Corporates, Schools or similar institutions in private sector.
- Ability to work well with others, including clients, reportees and other stakeholders.
- Vast and excellent computerized accounting with experience and knowledge of QuickBooks.
- Excellent long-term track record in budget management.
- Experience of finance, budgets, and financial reporting, preferably within a Corporate.
- Proven prudence and integrity in the management of staff and financial resources.
- Dependable member with proven ability to lead, motivate and work among managers.
- Proven track record of good advisory skills and analytical skills.
- Experience of exercising financial responsibility, budget control and effective and efficient resource management.
- Competent and excellent reporting skills.
- Willingness to work beyond required work schedule.
- Good communication skills, tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Good knowledge of local procurement laws and procedures.
- Understanding of tasks and willingness to participate in program events.
- Shall be subjected to KPIs (Key Performance Indicators).
- Understands business processes implementation, and management.
- Manage operating procedures.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial compliance.
- Timeliness and attention to detail especially reporting.
- Management and Supervision of reportees.
- Puts social and ethical standard into practice.
- Self-motivated, team player, innovative and result oriented
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, CV and copies of certificates through the following email address: email@example.com, or to: The Principal, The Lilongwe Academy, P/Bag B499, Lilongwe 3, not later than 07 January, 2024. To get information about the Academy please visit our Website:
NOTE: The Lilongwe Academy values itself as an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.