Company: Total LandCare (TLC)
Total LandCare (TLC) is a non-profit organization implementing development programs in Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique, and Tanzania. TLC’s mission is to transform the livelihoods of rural households from subsistence to prosperity and self-reliance. Achieving this goal involves building the capacity of organized groups of farmers, cooperatives, and related local governance structures to integrate sustainable agricultural and natural resource practices with initiatives to strengthen livelihoods and value chains linked to micro-finance and markets. The ultimate aim is to increase farm productivity, diversification, profitability and resilience with lower input costs and sound management of the landscape for current and future generations.
To support the above mission, TLC has secured funding towards the implementation of development projects in Northern and Central Malawi. The goal of the projects are a) to strengthen local food systems in selected extension planning areas (EPAs) through improved food and nutrition security, increased resilience to climate change and increased income among agriculture-dependent rural households, and b) to restore the land and livelihoods of vulnerable small-scale farm households, and to enhance carbon sinks using locally-appropriate evergreening systems.
TLC is therefore seeking the services of qualified, highly motivated, and hardworking persons to fill the following position:
Human Resources Officer X1
The Human Resource Manager (HRM) is responsible for providing support in the various human resource functions, which include recruitment, staffing, training and development, performance monitoring and employee counseling. The HRM will report directly to the Director of Finance and Administration.
Main Position Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain systems and procedures to facilitate implementation of TLC’S human resource policies.
- Provide advice and support to Managers and staff on implementation of the TLC’s Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Take lead in the recruitment of support staff.
- Produce quarterly staff returns across all TLC projects including on H/Qs staff.
- In liaison with the TLC Legal Counsel, draft / produce contracts for employees.
- Developing and delivering orientation/induction programs on TLC’S terms and conditions of service, Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Monitoring developments in employment laws, labour laws, pension laws and best practices, analysing impact on TLC’S existing terms, conditions and practices, and producing proposals for implementation of any changes.
- Supporting the Executive Management, in negotiation or changes to terms and conditions of service.
- Responsible for maintaining staff HR Management information system database and personal files.
- Ensure timesheets for all levels of staff are being submitted to head office timely all the times.
- Monitor staff welfare, health and safety.
- Maintain staff discipline.
- Be responsible for the identification, development and implementation of all administrative systems.
- In liaison with the Director of Operations, ensure that vehicle fleet and other property are well managed.
- Coordinate the drafting and signing of contracts between TLC and service providers on security, insurance, pension, medical and other schemes.
- The HRM will also act as a secretary for the TLC’s Board of Trustees meetings and will communicate any important events to the Chairman of the Board.
- Submit quarterly performance appraisal plans and quarterly performance appraisal reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by TLC Management.
Qualifications And Desired Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive relevant work experience.
- Membership with Human Resource Society of Malawi is an added advantage.
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills for staff.
- Experience in training, mentoring, supervising, or directing field staff.
- Excellent leadership, problem-solving, teamwork, interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of labour laws and human resource practices.
- High level of professionalism, trustworthiness, confidentiality, and integrity.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
An attractive remuneration will be offered to successful candidates commensurate with qualifications and experience. TLC is an equal opportunity employer, so women are encouraged to apply. The contract is for 12 months, renewable on a yearly basis based on performance and continuation of the projects.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Applications including an up-to-date curriculum vitae giving names, telephone numbers, physical and email addresses of traceable referees should be sent to the address below not later than Friday 16th February 2024. Please specify the type of job you are applying for and indicate when you would be available. Note that applications via email will not be entertained.
The Managing Director
Plot #12/520, New Area 12,
P.O. Box 2440, Lilongwe Malawi
“Only short-listed applicants will be acknowledged”