Company: Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP)
CATHOLIC COMMISSION FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE
The Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP) is the advocacy, human rights, and governance arm of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi (ECM). Adhering to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching, CCJP is dedicated to enhancing the prophetic role of the Catholic Church by actively promoting social justice in Mala0wi. CCJP seeks to contribute to the establishment of an inclusive society where a robust human rights culture is ingrained, fostering the development of a meaningful democratic society.
General Summary of the Post
CCJP is actively recruiting a Management Trainee to bolster its work at the National Office, focusing on advocacy and human rights initiatives for the protection and promotion of vulnerable individuals. The selected candidate will collaborate closely with the National Programmes Coordinator, contributing to project implementation and resource mobilization efforts. A key aspect of the role involves supporting CCJP in advocating for the realization of the Malawi Government’s commitments aligned with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Sustainable Development Goals. This position provides a unique opportunity for the Management Trainee to actively engage in impactful projects, gaining hands-on experience in project management, resource mobilization, and human rights advocacy within the context of Malawi’s dynamic social landscape.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic Management Trainee of Malawian origin to work at the ECM National Catholic Secretariat in Lilongwe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design human rights, advocacy and governance project activities responding to national human rights needs;
- Manage project budgets for the protection and promotion of rights of persons with albinism;
- Design and develop and produce governance, advocacy and human rights educational, information and training programmes for advancing the welfare of Malawians;
- Conduct research and a situational analysis on governance and human rights;
- Manage CCJP visibility and create innovations for the advancement of the Commission;
- Mobilise resources for CCJP for national projects and programmes;
- Reviewing human rights related laws, policies, bills and administrative practices to align them to international human rights law;
- Organize national stakeholders’ lobbying and advocacy initiatives on rights of persons with albinism;
- Liaising, collaborating and building relations with key development partners and donors;
- Assist with other programmes, administrative and technical tasks, as may be needed.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Political Leadership, Social Science or equivalent in human rights or development.
- Those with a Masters Degree in a relevant field will have an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A critical understanding of and a deep commitment to social justice and human rights issues.
- Sound appreciation of Malawi’s legal, policy and institutional framework.
- Experience in supporting capacity development and advocacy within civil society in Malawi on rights of persons with disabilities.
- At least 2 years’ practical experience in human rights advocacy, research and human rights monitoring.
- Extensive knowledge of the global, regional and domestic human rights and governance mechanisms
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong monitoring, evaluation and learning skills.
The Management Trainee will be directly reporting to the CCJP National Programmes Coordinator.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application with a cover letter to the Secretary General, at these email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org