Company: Department of Irrigation
REPUBLIC OF MALAWI
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE
SHIRE VALLEY TRANSFORMATION PROGRAMME (SVTP) -2
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
Name of Project: SHIRE VALLEY TRANSFORMATION PROGRAMME-2
Credit No: 71350-MW
Assignment Title : MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVERS
Reference No.: MW-SVTP-S-INDV-001
The Government of Malawi with support from the World Bank and the African Development Bank is implementing the Shire Valley Transformation Programme (SVTP). The program development objective (PDO) for the Shire Valley Transformation Program is to increase agricultural productivity and commercialization for targeted households in the Shire Valley; and to improve the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources. The SVTP is a 14-year program (2018-2031) which targets the development of about 40,000 ha abstracting water from the Shire River at Kapichira and conveying it by gravity to the irrigable area (in Chikwawa and Nsanje districts) mainly through canals. It is structured around three coordinated pillars:
- Providing reliable, professionally managed and sustainably financed irrigation service to irrigators in a phased construction of the scheme and providing multiple services including water supply;
- Support farmer organization within a comprehensive land use plan; supporting land tenure strengthening and consolidation; as well as natural resources management; and
- Establishment of smallholder owned commercial farm enterprises transitioning into commercial agriculture from subsistence farming and integrating them into commercial value chains.
SVTP will be implemented in three sequential but partially overlapping phases. The SVTP-I (2018-2023) Project Development Objective is to provide access to reliable gravity fed irrigation and drainage services, secure land tenure for smallholder farmers, and strengthen management of wetlands and protected areas in the Shire Valley.
The main areas of action for SVP -1 are namely: 1) irrigation service provision; 2) Land tenure and natural resources management support; 3 Agriculture development and commercialization and 4) project management and coordination.
The Ministry of Agriculture now invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Driver
2.0 The Position
Position Title: Motor Vehicle Drivers
Time Commitment : 100%
Accountable to: Executive Assistant
3.0 Scope of Services
- Ensure that all vehicles are properly maintained, cleaned, serviced, documented and ready for use, and report problems as soon as they arise.
- Clean Project vehicles under his/her care
- Properly maintain the vehicle log book
- Ensure that the project vehicles are regularly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Mail collection and delivery.
- Advise management on due dates for Certificate of Fitness (CoF), insurance or service requirements.
- Drive assigned members of staff short or long distances on all types of road surfaces
- Keep daily travel and distance records, and produce and submit for approval monthly summary reports and log sheets for each vehicle.
- Ensuring that accidents and damages are reported in accordance with SVTP procedures and process insurance claims in consultation with relevant authorities.
4.0 Qualifications and Experience:
The candidates should possess the following:
- Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE).
- Valid driving license
- Defensive Driving Certificate
- Must be not more than 45 years of age
- Those with a Motor Vehicle Mechanic Certificate will have an added advantage
- Good command of written and spoken English. vii. Should have at least two years’ driving experience.
6.0 Location of Employment
The Drivers will be based in Blantyre, but will be required to travel regularly and extensively to the project area (Chikwawa and Nsanje) and other districts throughout Malawi.
7.0 Duration of Employment
The Contract is for an initial period of one-year renewable upon satisfactory completion of the assignment and satisfactory appraisal results.
8.0 Reporting Requirements
The Drivers shall report to the Executive Assistant.
9.0 Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 7:30hrs to 12:00hrs and from 13:00hrs to 17:00hrs except on Weekends and Public Holidays.
10.0 Applications including detailed updated curriculum vitae and copies of academic qualifications must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) by 1st February, 2024.
The Director of Irrigation Services,
Department of Irrigation,
Off Paul Kagame Road,
P.O. Box 30797,
(Attention: The Principal Human Resources Management Officer)
Alternatively, applications may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org; cc: email@example.com