Company: HAIL & Cotton (Malawi) Limited
HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) LIMITED, a fully owned subsidiary of HAIL & COTTON International B.V. based in Netherlands, a company that supplies premium leaf tobacco and value-added services to manufacturers of tobacco products worldwide, is urgently looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Senior Leaf Buyer.
1. Senior Leaf Buyer (1)
The Senior Leaf Buyer shall be responsible for leaf procurement and sales, green tobacco processing, customer service, and the development of leaf buyers and trainees in accordance with Hail & Cotton procedures, reporting to the Head of Leaf Sales.
Key Responsibilities and Roles
1.1 Tobacco Procurement
- To procure all tobacco types across the country in line with the Buying Policy and ensuring that tobacco is bought, classified, and assigned Internal grades according to the correct quality and price parameters.
- To co-ordinate the implementation of the buying processes and set KPI throughout the supply chain.
- To monitor the proper allocation of tobacco into relevant segregated customer pool grades in line with customer allocation policy.
- Liaison with grower’s representatives/associations on emerging issues required for orderly marketing of green.
1.2 Leaf Procurement Sale Management
- Continuously checking that the buying team’s performance is in line with daily buying policy.
- Monitors buying and classification performance of leaf buyers, trainee buyers and leaf classifiers to ensure that they are on target in terms of quality and pricing.
- Continuous engagement with stakeholders- TC classification team and AHL selling team to ensure classification is aligned to the established standards.
- To analyze, monitor, and the evaluation of daily market trends and dynamics in relation to buying policy.
- Controls the quality standards of purchases through inspection of deliveries both on the floors and warehouses.
1.3 Processing of Green Tobacco
- Re-classification and allocation of rejected tobacco into appropriate grades.
- Checks and certifies the suitability of green tobacco products.
- Monitors and ensures that the quality of the processed product and customer technical specifications are
achieved at the time of processing.
- Recommends to the processing team remedial solutions for processing standards.
1.4 Customer Service
- The selection of tobacco for trial packs.
- Monitors the preparation and availability of buyers’ reference samples and customer master reference sample.
- Continuous monitoring of green purchase status reports and crop throw as per customer volume indications.
- Monitors customer packing
- Checks and evaluates that the customer quality and technical specifications are being achieved.
- Responsible for adjustments to blends and processing specifications when required.
- Ensures that the processing program is in line with the shipping schedule.
- Checks and analyses that the summary of completed operations (S.C.P.O.) is in order and in line with costing/blends.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of product reports to customers
- Market reports
- Crop Protection Agents (CPA’s) analysis reports.
- Packing reports
- Shipping reports
- Crop reports.
1.5 Crop Intelligence and Stakeholder Relationship Management
- Management and preparation of reports on tobacco growth, volume, and quality.
- Crop forecast and projections.
- Gathering of crop intelligence to build on company annual crop throw.
- Liaison with agronomy and farmers on emerging issues in tobacco value chain; ESG; IPS, ALP
- Manages the dissemination of information to stakeholders both internal and external on trade requirements relating to production and other emerging issues in the industry.
- Works and supports Agronomy continuous improvement activities in line with the company business needs.
1.6 Mentoring and Development of Leaf Buyers and Trainee Buyers
1.7 Responsible for the training of both Leaf buyers and Trainee buyers.
1.8 Constant monitoring of Leaf Buyers and trainee buyers’ progress.
2. Blending Supervisor (1)
The main purpose of the job is to effectively manage the Blending section with the focus on achieving quality of the final product in line with the customer set standards. Furthermore, is to ensure, throughout Blending,
optimal financial returns and total crop utilization and disappearance with the following key performance
- Ensure exacting classification standards are maintained in the factory and that the final product is always fully up to requirements. This covers daily classification of all tobacco from Auction Floors in the 1st month plus all tobacco set out prior to processing.
- Supervise packing according to packing instructions with checks being made on processing side to ensure
undesirable tobacco is being picked-out, degradation and moisture on target, quality of redried product identical to reference sample.
- To look after customers whilst in the factory. A sound knowledge of all customers’ quality and packing
specification is therefore required.
- Control and manage the blending of tobacco in the factory while ensuring that all remnants and uncommitted packed inventory are blended in accordance with Company policy. Ensure customer green and packed inspections are ready when required.
- To ensure customers’ confidence and satisfaction through sound knowledge of quality, specifications, and requirements.
- Ensuring maximum utilization through blending of tobacco inventory to match customer sample.
- Ensuring all remnants and uncommitted packed inventory is blended in accordance with company policy.
- Managing tobacco inventory required for processing on weekly basis.
3. Leaf Classifier (2)
The purpose of your position shall be to classify tobacco at the auction floors and factory and to supervise Leaf and N.T.R.M checkers in line with Hail & Cotton buying policy and company specifications with the following key performance guidelines:
- Classify tobacco into different grades according to quality.
- Check tobacco already classified to confirm or make changes to the grade if it does not conform to standards.
- Reject tobacco that does not meet company’s requirements.
- Inspection and classification of green tobacco prior to processing
- Monitoring of blends and quality during processing
- Classification of by-products
- Preparation and presentation of daily buyer’s percentages
- Supervision of a team of Leaf Checkers to ensure they execute their duties in accordance to the buying policy and product integrity.
- Training and transfer of skills to Trainees and Leaf Checkers
- Liaison with Tobacco Commission personnel during the case arbitration of rejected bales.
- Any other duties as lawfully assigned from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience performing the above-mentioned Key Performance Areas (KPA) in a large organization.
- Result Oriented
- Good Leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer literate
- Business acumen and entrepreneurial skill sets
- Must be able to multitask and be a team player.
An attractive package will be offered to the successful candidates.
Applications with a detailed curriculum vitae (CV), copies of certificates, and names and contact details of three traceable and reputable referees should reach the undersigned no later than Wednesday, 14th February 2024.
The Human Resources Manager
HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) LIMITED
P.O. Box 40214
Please clearly mark on the envelope/email ‘Leaf Classifier’
HAIL & COTTON is an equal opportunity employer, however, only short-listed applicants who meet the above specifications will be contacted regarding interviews.