Company: Civil Society Network on Climate Change (CISONECC)
The Civil Society Network on Climate Change (CISONECC) is an umbrella body of Civil Society Organizations working in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management in Malawi. The Network’s mission is to provide a platform for engagement between government and CSOs on climate change and related fields for improved adaptation and mitigation to climate change impacts, with an overall objective of building community resilience to the impacts of climate change. CISONECC comprises of national and international NGOs, other networks, alliances and research institutions, with a secretariat based in Lilongwe.
CISONECC and partners with financial support from Jersey Overseas Aid through the Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF) and Trōcaire are implementing a “Community-led Planning and Management for Biodiversity Protection and Resilient Communities in the Catchment Area of Lake Chilwa, Malawi Programme” in the three Lake Chilwa basin districts of Zomba, Phalombe
and Machinga. The overall goal of the programme is to ensure that rural communities living in poverty around Lake Chilwa Basin are more environmentally and economically sustainable and resilient due to a rehabilitated, sustainably managed and protected Lake Chilwa Basin.
CISONECC secretariat seeks to recruit an experienced and skilled candidate to work as a Programme Officer on Climate Change and Biodiversity Management to support implementation of activities related to the project.
Position: Programme Officer – Climate Change and Biodiversity Management (Temporary)
Reporting : Programmes Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Development, Management and Implementation
- Facilitating planning and implementation of project based and other network activities including monitoring, evaluation and reporting of network activities.
- Facilitating implementation of capacity building initiatives within the network and its stakeholders on climate change and biodiversity issues.
- Assist in organising and facilitating network events including workshops, conferences and meetings and disseminating proceedings.
- Assist in coordination of the network’s thematic cluster activities.
- Facilitating formulation, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of plans and actions of the thematic clusters in line with the network’s strategic plan.
- Facilitating networking, negotiations, consensus building among CISONECC members within the thematic clusters.
- Assist in formulation of network agenda in accordance with the network’s strategic plan.
- Closely work with project partners and other CSOs, district level structures and partners to mutually agree on detailed operational plans and indicators for measuring achievements as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning in line with project priorities and plans.
- Identify any emerging opportunities for wider partnerships in the area of climate change and biodiversity management.
- Undertake regular and mutually agreed review visits to partners and districts; and provide guidance on enhancing the quality delivery of different projects.
- Work with different consortia partners to identify capacity building and training needs of partners and communities; and take initiatives to get them addressed.
- Bring up major concerns about project operations to the notice of Programmes Manager for remedial action.
- Draw up and implement partner capacity enhancement plans in a consultative manner.
- Facilitating collaboration with relevant government departments and partners on relevant agenda.
- Assist in identifying and forging strategic partnerships with like-minded institutions at national and international levels.
Research, Communications and Advocacy
- Assist in conducting policy research and advocacy for issues/positions directly related to the project outputs and outcomes on behalf of the network.
- Support implementation of the CISONECC and projects publications policy.
- Support towards increased awareness of CISONECC’S mandate and goals through dissemination of information, and supporting organization of CISONECC events.
- In coordination with Communications and Advocacy Manager, support in the development and preparation of materials for profiling and awareness raising including briefing materials and press releases.
- In coordination with MEAL Manager, support in organization of publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities.
- Support the Communications and Advocacy Manager to prepare promotional material on the CISONECC activities and projects, including pamphlets, videos, etc.
- Contribute to development of materials for CISONECC website, Twitter, Facebook for information dissemination.
- Manage CISONECC’s various resources under different projects assigned to the communications and advocacy office.
- Ensure that project resources are being utilised in the most cost-effective manner.
- Planning, budgeting and resource mobilisation on behalf of the network.
Reporting and Work Programming
- Make regular monitoring visits to partner organizations and project implementation sites to review progress of work and provide strategic inputs and in particular to help to ensure that project obligations for monthly, 6 monthly and annual planning and reporting are properly met.
- Provide regular updates to Programmes Manager on project progress and the internal and external environment affecting implementation of CISONECC activities.
Programme Quality and Learning
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning team to ensure that the MEAL Framework is effectively implemented in the project.
- Ensure participation of partners in project review and learning exercises.
- Support documentation of good models on climate change and biodiversity management for scale up and influencing policy and practice in Malawi, and for sharing with other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all learning and innovative experiences from the assigned project are captured and shared to all stakeholders both at district and national level.
- Ensure a safe programming plan is in place and implemented for the project.
Representation Network and Alliance Building
- Represent CISONECC secretariat at various external fora as directed by the National Coordinator.
- Actively participate in programmes and technical meetings as a member of the programme teams.
- Build and foster national alliances and networks that enhance sharing, learning and collaboration among relevant organisations and individuals.
- Adopt a proactive approach to undertaking relevant lobbying, campaigning and advocacy work to increase other peoples’ understanding of climate change and biodiversity management issues and to influence their approach and decisions in support of CISONECC work.
Funding and Donor Management
- Ensure compliance with back donor requirements especially, timely submission of quality descriptive and financial reports.
- Facilitate compliance with donor grant requirements, provide input into donor reports and support the management of donor visits as appropriate;
- Assist in drafting high quality reports according to donor contract agreements.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as the Programmes Manager may from time-to-time assign.
- Good knowledge of the application of climate change and biodiversityrelated issues and policy to a local government context.
- Good knowledge of the linkage and interaction between access to energy and food systems.
- Skills in development of advocacy initiatives, research and policy analysis.
- Networking and relationships building.
- Undertaking context and power analysis.
- Competence in working with the media.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Competence with Microsoft Office or similar computer software, and web content management software.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- A confident and outgoing self-starter who rises to the challenge and is proactive in seeking new opportunities.
- Able to deal with a diverse and demanding workload and to work under minimum of supervision.
- Natural enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter.
- A team player.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
Qualification and Experience
- At least a Degree in Environment and Natural Resources Management (with an experience in advocacy) or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in climate change and biodiversity management or in similar work.
- Demonstrable strong experiences in advocacy and policy influencing, preferably within the climate change and biodiversity management sector.
- Experience in working with local and national level government structures.
- Experience in developing and implementing communications and advocacy strategies.
CISONECC is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants are requested to send a motivation/cover letters and resumes, with names and contacts of three traceable referees to the following address:
The Finance and Administration Manager
Civil society Network on Climate Change
Hand delivery be done through our offices in Area 49, Opposite Good Hope Private Clinic, Church Close Street, Plot No. 49/2/446/2, New Gulliver, Lilongwe, Malawi.
The application can also be sent through the following email address email@example.com. Make sure you indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. The full details of the vacancy can also be accessed through the CISONECC website: www.cisoneccmw.org or Facebook page: Civil Society Network on Climate Change or twitter page:
CISONECC upholds its duty to safeguard, protect and promote the welfare of its stakeholders and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and partners’ requirements.
Closing date for receiving application is 12th January, 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be communicated.