Company: CUMO Microfinance Limited
CUMO Microfinance Limited is a not-for-profit rural microfinance company providing financial and non-financial services in the hard to reach areas of Malawi. The Company currently serves over 70,000 clients (mostly women) in villages across 26 districts of Malawi. CUMO is inviting applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill various vacancies under an anticipated new project to be jointly implemented with Self Help Africa (SHA) under a Result Based Financing (RBF) project. The project will target the “poorer” and “poorest” income categories of Malawians as defined in the Unified Beneficiary Registry (UBR) established by The Department of Poverty Reduction and Social Protection (DPRSP) of the Ministry of Economic Planning and Development. This project is expected to reach up to 210,000 people, in Balaka, Dedza, Salima and Nkhatabay. The objective of this project is to address the affordability barrier to accessing Off Grid Solar (OGS) products and improved cook stoves (ICS) for people in ultra-poor, vulnerable settings who would otherwise not be reached by the commercial market or existing public initiatives.
CUMO Microfinance Limited therefore seeks to recruit talented and dynamic individuals to be part of the team that will drive the anticipated project.
Project Coordinator (1)
The job holder’s core responsibility will be to undertake tasks in line with project objectives, including ensuring that a high level of awareness of the project is reached and maintained by all stakeholders, ensuring that the project strongly engages with District Councils at all stages of implementation, providing feedback on the effectiveness of the approach and performance of all project stakeholders.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Coordinator shall be expected to perform the following roles and responsibilities:
1. Development of work plans and preparations of reports in line with project guidelines
2. Acting as a focal point for District Officers and the rest of the project staff.
3. Support the Project Accountant in processing claims from suppliers of Solar equipment and Independent Verifying Agent (IVA).
4. Travel to districts of implantation to raise awareness for the project and also track project progress.
5. Collaboration and network with all partners including government and the communities
6. Participate and support annual project reviews.
7. Coordinating project activity plans and ensuring that records are up-to-date for purposes of donor reporting.
8. Training and Orienting project staff to ensure compliance with project requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate for the position shall be expected to have:
1. A degree in Economics, Marketing, Business
Administration, Community Development or other relevant area.
2. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar position including field-work and office-based activities, particularly those related to results based finance projects.
3. Appreciation of the solar product and cleaner cooking sector and technologies will be an added advantage.
4. Proven ability to deliver activities according to work plans and deadlines
5. Good computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) and using online meeting platforms (e.g. Zoom, google meet etc.).
6. Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
7. Excellent communication, coordination and facilitation skills.
8. Strong respect and empathy for rural communities, and an affinity to CUMO’s mission and values of integrity, dignity and environmental respect.
9. Fluency in written and spoken English and Chichewa.
CUMO pays competitive salary including housing allowance.
Individuals who strictly meet the above requirements are encouraged to apply. Application including full CV and a cover letter explaining your suitability for the position with contact details of three work-related referees should be sent by post or by email to:
The Finance & Administration Manager,
CUMO Microfinance Limited
Plot No. Bwaila 6/278,
P O Box X 99,
Closing date is December 28, 2023. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.