Company: Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Peanut
PROJECT MANAGER – Biological Research
Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Peanut
The USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Peanut (Peanut Innovation Lab) seeks to transform agriculture in Africa – and specifically groundnut cultivation, storage, marketing and consumption – by fostering research for development synergies and strengthening research capacity on the continent, empowering farmers with resilient new varieties and production practices, creating and growing markets for groundnuts, and developing knowledge about gender and family dynamics so that women and youth are empowered. In Malawi, the Peanut innovation Lab is partnering with the USAID Growth Poles Project and other public and private sector partners to enable the growth of the groundnut sector.
The Project Manager – Biological Research will provide in-country oversight of the Peanut Innovation Lab’s variety, agronomy, mechanization and quality projects being conducted with partners in Malawi.
Post reports to : Director, Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Peanut, University of Georgia, Athens GA, USA
Location : Lilongwe, Malawi
Contract type : Independent Contractor, up to 4 years (1 February 2024 – 31 December 2027) renewable on annual basis.
- Project Management and Program Effectiveness for Biological Research Efforts
- Work closely with Peanut Innovation Lab Management Entity and US and Malawi-based scientists and partners to ensure timely submission, review and dissemination of project information and reports.
- Track project progress and ensure that all tasks are completed as per agreed schedules.
- Manage project budgets and expenses, ensuring financial objectives are met.
- Prepare and deliver regular project status reports to PIL management.
- Coordination and Stakeholder Interaction
- Identify partners and nurture relationships with local authorities and stakeholders.
- Participate in planning and other meetings with USAID, partners and stakeholders.
- Fluent in written and spoken English required; fluent in written and spoken Chichewa preferred.
- BA/BS degree in relevant area; post-graduate degree(MS/PhD) in relevant area a plus.
- Experience in managing development and research projects related to agriculture.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional leadership and team management abilities.
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Comfort speaking in public, giving presentations, interacting in group discussions.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, able to work well under pressure both proactively and prioritize a challenging workload.
- Strong leadership, teamwork, mentoring and coaching skills.
- Proven track record in generating innovative solutions in work situations; utilizing different and novel ways to deal with work problems and address opportunities.
- Experience in agricultural data collection and analyses a plus.
- Experience with virtual communications.
- Ability to travel within Malawi and possibly to neighboring countries and more internationally.
Interested applicants must send their Curriculum Vitae with cover letter and copies of certificates indicating the position being applied for in the subject matter to: FTFPeanutLab@uga.edu by 17:00 hours on Thursday, 30th November, 2023. Late applications will not be reviewed.