Company: Find Your Feet (FYF)
Ref # 2023.61
Find Your Feet (FYF) is a local NGO dedicated to working with poor, rural communities to create lasting solutions to poverty. FYF envisions a world in which everyone has the right to build a future free from hunger and poverty and its mission is to mobilise local knowledge and skills, and promote the ownership and use of natural resources by poor rural communities in finding sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty and discrimination.
FYF signed an agreement with Pact to implement a 5 year REFRESH project with funding from USAID.The purpose of REFRESH project is to conserve the freshwater biodiversity of Lake Malawi to restore the natural fisheries productivity, which largely underpins the food and nutrition security of the rural and urban populations by targeting the lakeshore districts of Karonga, Rumphi, Likoma, Nkhata Bay, Nkhotakota, Salima, Dedza and Mangochi. Its sub-purposes are (a) the targeted Lake Malawi’s aquatic habitats are healthy and well-managed (b) the endemic fish populations of targeted parts of Lake Malawi are healthy and self-sustaining and (c) the fisheries in the targeted parts of Lake Malawi are managed sustainably by 2024.
Primarily, the REFRESH activities will aim to achieve the following outcomes:
1. Strengthen governance and regulatory frameworks
2. Improve science, information, and technical capacities in stock assessment and data management.
3. Strengthen decentralized fisheries co-management.
4. Commercialize conservation enterprises.
5. Build constituencies for effective, accountable and transparent EBFM.
Through the signed Cooperative Agreement Find Your Feet (FYF) will implement REFRESH in the three districts of Likoma, Rumphi and Karonga. FYF is now seeking well qualified and experienced person to fill the following position that will be based at its Mzuzu Head Office:
Position : REFRESH Project Officer
Location : Mzuzu
Reporting To : The Programme Manager
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Program Manager, the The Project Officer will be responsible for implementation of project activities under the REFRESH Project. S/He will be responsible for the following: –
Supervision and Team Coordination
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of REFRESH Technicians in the designated area.
- Provide guidance and support to ensure the efficient and effective execution of field implementation activities.
Training and Development
- Conduct training sessions for REFRESH Technicians, emphasizing project goals, methodologies, and best practices.
- Foster continuous learning and development, with a focus on new technologies and approaches in fisheries management.
Collaboration, Stakeholder Engagement, and Communication
- Facilitate collaboration and communication between REFRESH Technicians and stakeholders, including Fisheries Extension Officers, Fish Scouts, and local communities.
- Establish effective linkages to enhance the success of project activities.
- Maintain open and effective communication channels between REFRESH Technicians and the Program Manager.
- Facilitate communication between the field team and local communities to relay project objectives and benefits.
Capacity Building, Monitoring, and Oversight:
- Support the capacity building of REFRESH Technicians by providing necessary tools, resources, and information.
- Work with the team to enhance their technical skills in stock assessment, data management, and relevant areas.
- Monitor the quality and governance of Local Fisheries Management Authorities (LFMAs) and activities conducted by REFRESH Technicians.
- Oversee the preparation of regular reports by REFRESH Technicians on project activities, ensuring accurate, timely documentation that meets project reporting standards.
- Ensure REFRESH Technicians adhere to project guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborate with the Program Manager to address any compliance issues during project implementation.
- Identify challenges encountered by REFRESH Technicians and work proactively on solutions.
- Make informed decisions to address issues and seek input from the Program Manager when needed.
- Ensure REFRESH Technicians adhere to specified timelines for project activities and communicate potential delays promptly.
Community Engagement Support
- Assist REFRESH Technicians in engaging with local communities to build awareness and support for the project goals.
- Facilitate community participation in project activities and ensure a positive relationship between the project team and local stakeholders.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager to contribute to the overall success of the REFRESH project.
- Minimum of BSc in Fisheries, Biology or related natural resources field;
- At least 3 years’ experience on projects working on community development initiatives to build sustainable livelihoods. Engagement in fisheries is strongly preferred;
- High degree of results-oriented professionalism and organization with strong commitment to submission of deliverables in a timely manner;
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of adaptability, communication skills, enjoys working with people and easy to get along with is essential;
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate training workshops with stakeholder
- Strong English, Chichewa and Tumbuka language skills both written and oral;
- Valid motorcycle driving license
How to apply: Applications must include a motivation letter, an updated CV, Names and contact details of three traceable referees and photocopies of certificates.
Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director
Find Your Feet
P.O. Box 20312
Closing date: 10th December, 2023
Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) is a regrettable and pervasive issue with far-reaching and devastating consequences for its victims. At Find Your Feet (FYF), we are steadfast in our belief in the dignity and respect of every individual. Safeguarding against any form of harm and abuse is our paramount concern. Our objective in implementing this policy is to cultivate a culture of accountability, transparency, and trust. Our Prevention from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policy underscores the importance of all individuals connected to our organization adhering to the highest ethical standards. It is imperative that we all
comprehend our roles and responsibilities in preventing SEA, and that we work collectively to establish an environment where individuals can report incidents without fear of reprisal.
Find Your Feet is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged